Saturday, November 7, 2009

Finding Inspiration in the Mundane

Wednesday was a day when I needed to pick up the house. . . . take down the Halloween decorations, gather the dishes and dirty clothes the kids had left strewn about the house, clear off all those horizontal surfaces that had gathered mail and books and junk. You know that kind of day. I also had to clean up my craft desk, which was impassable. Not a very inspiring kind of day, until I found my Michael DeMeng Demented Toy creation (which, truth be told, I wasn't that happy with) sitting on top of the Frida Kahlo painted panel (which you can see down in the lower left-hand corner of my blog, in the "about me" section). I realized that what I didn't like about the piece was the face (it's a Jon Miller bobblehead, by the way) and the fact that the entire creation did not have any kind of a "shrine-like" quality to it, which is what normally draws me to Michael DeMeng's work. I was inspired to use Frida's face on a cloth mask to turn the creation into something in which I am now really happy. Who would have thought clean-up time could lead to such inspiration?

2 comments:

humel said...

Very clever :-) Whenever I try to tidy up my stash I end up playing with it instead...

Fun Mama - Deanna said...

What an interesting piece! Creating always makes the cleaning go easier. I am a classmate from Blogging for Scrapbookers.