Saturday, May 15, 2010

Storing Artwork (what do you plan for it series)

I've written a variety of posts about what I do with my art, including selling it, displaying it, submitting it and gifting it.  But, sometimes, there's nothing to do with it except store it for a while.  So, here's what I do.  I have a largish (16x12x6) sterlite container in which I put completed canvases and canvases in progress. It's on the left above, and looks like this from the top:
You can see that I wrap them up in nonstick paper and tend to pad with bubblewrap.  I also have two smaller sterlite containers.  Once contains small canvases and one contains minialbums.  Here are the top views:
Most of these pieces are available for sale, and I store them packaged for sale, with a price tag already on them.  I keep small pieces of completed art that I don't plan to sell in a different box:
How do you store your completed works of art?

8 comments:

Julie Shoemaker said...

I store my pieces similar to you, but put each piece in a heavy plastic bag, for dust and humidity control. Nice to have a little treasure box for quick gifts.

scrappyjacky said...

I don't tend to have much to 'store'.Canvases go on the wall,scrapbook pages into albums..large and medium albums are on shelves.....though I do store mini albums and cards in boxes.

sharyncarlson said...

I don't really have much to store, but I do keep all my mini albums in a small box. So interesting to see what it takes to store your artwork.

Elizabeth said...

Most of my digital work is stored on the computer. Mini-albums I make are usually given as gifts. There's not much left to store--which is why I went digital!

humel said...

My mini-albums live in a pretty shoebox, but it's rather full now so I need to buy more shoes! ;-) Little pieces go into a miniature wooden chest of drawers; my (small) collections of 'art' pieces are crowded on my mantelpiece (but again, I'm running out of space). Most of my work though is scrapbook layouts which go into albums :-)

Amy said...

I don't have a lot to store - my recently completed scrap pages go on display in the lounge room on a book stand/easel type thing and then into an album.

Sian said...

Another interesting thing to think about! I put my layouts into AC albums and mini-albums into a basket on my desk. I do give away quite a lot of the things I make too.

Kimberlee said...

Maybe that is why, sub-consciously, I don't finish much... then I don't have to worry about storing it. :) Thanks for all of the good ideas. I'm working on a bunch of stuff now for a festival and will need to figure out storage soon. :D