Wednesday, July 21, 2010

In and Out of my photography comfort zone

Shimelle's last two prompts in "Love your pictures, love your pages" have been about finding your personal comfort zone in taking photographs  and then in stepping outside it.  I have thought (and blogged) a lot about photography and my style, so I won't bore you with all that again! But I did try to apply her lessons when I went to DS' sectional semifinal baseball game the other night and thought I'd share some of the results.  The picture above is safely within my comfort zone:  sports action photography.  I love this picture of DS Henry applying a tag.
I also tried to move around and take pictures from a few different angles.  I don't think this one worked very well:
But I did like this one, taken from the back, of the coach and baserunners watching a new pitcher warm up.  I turned it to sepia and liked that effect:
It may surprise you (or not) to learn that I have very limited computer knowledge about working with my photographs.  I don't have photoshop or photoshop elements or even any photo editing software, other than the free disk which came with my camera.  I think a goal for next year will be to start learning about that side of photography.  In the meantime, here's  one more "out of my zone" picture that I liked.  I turned it to black and white:
This is the huddle taking place when our starting pitcher left the game with one and a half innings left to play.  He had thrown a brilliant game (allowing just two hits), but the rules only allow the boys to throw a certain number of pitches, in order to protect them from injury.  In this picture, I imagine that the coach is telling Henry that, as short stop, it will be his responsibility to lead the defense and support the relief pitcher.  And Henry did.  Brilliantly as a matter of fact.  The boys won 8-2 and play in the championship game on Thursday night.  If they can win at least one of their next two games, they will qualify for the state tournament starting on Saturday in Sacramento.  They've never gotten that far before, and it would be a dream come true for many of them.  Keep sending those good luck vibes, and I'll let you know how it works out.

11 comments:

Amy said...

I really love the last two shots Rinda - such great suspense and they help to tell the story very well.
Henry must be very excited - there are best wishes and the good luck vibe being sent all the way from Australia :-)

Anonymous said...

The sepia one is a favourite of me as well! Well done! xoxoxo

Tammy Lee Bradley said...

I like the sepia best too. Very nice.

JO SOWERBY said...

i really love the less is more attitude of the last few shots. i love trying to take pictures when people arent aware of what ur doing and these are g8. they appear so relaxed and i love the effects of the sepia and black and white, although that action shot is awesome
Jo xxx

jillconyers said...

Great shots! Love the action you captured of the tag as well as the B&W and sepia effects you added to the others.

Anonymous said...

I love those last two shots as well. And Congrats to Henry and his team. I'll be thinking about them tonight and sending good vibes their way.

humel said...

Yay, how exciting! Lots of good luck vibes from me xx

And I love the photos, Rinda :-)

sharyncarlson said...

Wonderful images, Rinda! And a big congrats to Henry; more good luck vibes are being sent your way!!!

debs14 said...

Seems like the official photographer is their good luck charm! Great photos, but I agree with you about the one taken from ground level, it doesn't hold the interest like all the others do. Still, you have to try something to know if you like it or not!

Lauren said...

I like the idea behind your base photo. Maybe if you had a base in the foreground, going from base to base it might have worked??

The sepia color is very complimentary to that photo!

laurie said...

what great pictures! the group shots really emphasize the "team" nature of the sport. keep us posted on how they do...