Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Mail Art Journal: Love Letters, Part 1

I was inspired by a book called "Good Mail Day" to create an art journal where the pages are photocopies of letters and envelopes.  I am lucky enough to have saved all the letters which my husband and I sent to each other during the three years that I was in law school in Massachusetts, and he was doing graduate work in California and New York.  For the page above, I copied one of his letters as the background.  I stamped some flowers and postoids on it and then journaled on some artist tape.  I also made a background page by copying a bunch of envelopes:
I added a picture of us (circa the early 80's), some stamping and some journaling.  It's a fun project so far, and I'll be posting some more pages tomorrow, but with love letters from a different couple . . . any guesses as to who that would be?
If you are interested in receiving the book which gave me the inspiration for this art journal, check out my post about Pass the Book at this link.

8 comments:

Sian said...

Maybe your parents?

This is gorgeous! And that photo of the two of you? So cute. This is my favourite kind of project - reusing old memorabilia and old memories. Love it.

Anonymous said...

This is such a great idea, and I love the way you've used your letters and photo. Can't wait to see the next installment.

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Oh, Rinda, I love this page! It's a great way to get that awesome handwritten background without having to invest in a big rubber stamp. I have some letters that my mom wrote to me while I was at camp when I was about 12...I'll have to dig those out and play with them. I'm so inspired by this!!! Thanks, Rinda!

PS: Next round of letters between your parents? :o)

Lauren said...

I agree with Deb's comment... never thought about scanning writing and then printing it! (vs. buying pp or stamping it). Love the hearts on the second page!

Carola Bartz said...

Although I once included copies of letters that my mom wrote to me in a collage, I never used them as backgrounds. I think it's a brilliant idea and you did it so beautifully. Thanks for the link.

nancy y said...

how cool is this? Love the photo too.

you've been tagged with some Leibster Blog love.
Visit me to pick up your tag
http://squirrelyart.blogspot.com

scrappyjacky said...

I think it's great to use letters as background......using the letters brings the whole page alive....and love your photo.

Pippa (pjbear) said...

Gorgeous, loving the pictures :)