Monday, March 28, 2011

Grungy Monday & Blog Candy Winners

Linda of the Studio L3 Blog ran a terrific challenge series working her way through Tim Holtz's Compendium of Curiosities book.  I did most of the challenges, but I lost focus toward the end.  Now that she's done with all the techniques in the book, she's starting a new series called "Grungy Monday" focusing on a variety of other Tim techniques. I was inspired to play along this week and created this tag.  You can see the challenge at this post. 
For my background, I used Heidi Swapp ghost butterflies as masks, as well as Tim's border mask. Spritzed with cranberry and plum color wash inks.  Smudged on aged mahogany and black soot inks.  The focal element is a Tim stamp, embossed on grungepaper and then colored with antique gold and really red perfect pearls. Added vintage paper, bits of trim, some charms, Tim's ruler ribbon (which I won from The Scrappy Tree blog) and some very old doodad letters from Tim.  Lots of grungy fun! Thanks for the challenge Linda!
In other news, the winners (I decided to choose 4) of the Tsunami Relief blog candy give-away are:
#3 Sharyn (who will receive several original photographs)
#18 Amy (who will receive an original piece of art) 
#28 Kristy.A (who will receive an assortment of scrapbook goodies/ephemera) and
#37 Furry Pig (who will receive an assortment of handmade bookmarks and cards).
Email me your mailing address at rinda1961@yahoo.com, and I'll get your prize in the mail. Also, I wrote a check for $100 to the Red Cross Tsunami Relief fund.  I had 44 comments and decided to round up to an even number.  Thanks for your support!
p.s. Madeline Bea who ran the wonderful Creativity Boot Camp last summer just put up a wonderful post about the 1000 Crane photography project to benefit Japan.  You can read it here.
p.p.s. Ali Edwards just posted here about a designer digital kit benefiting Japan.

27 comments:

Amy said...

This is a ripper of a tag Rinda - quite fantastic! Though, I am most impressed with the word 'doodad', now that is a creatively technical word if ever I heard one! ;-)

I am quite thrilled and honoured to be a recipient of an original piece of art - this is exciting and I'm looking forward to seeing what arrives in the mail! :-)

Mary B said...

Tag looks great love the details lots to see

Helen said...

Great tag, love the butterflies.

Anonymous said...

I added your blog to my reader months ago and have enjoyed your posts a lot. It's nice to see you here as well. In fact, it was through your blog that I learned about this class--so thanks!

Jen said...

Super tag! Well done on your donation! and I just love doodads!! J x

Sian said...

Fantastic - so that means we'll be seeing lots more grunging from you? Excellent!

Cheri said...

the tag is beautiful Rinda. I'd never really paid much attention to Tim Holtz stuff before as it always seemed to complicated and time-consuming for the limited time I have to "play" - but I'm definitely getting drawn in!

Terry said...

Beautiful GM tag! Love your color choices and the butterflies stand out so nicely! I just bought some of the ruler tape! Congratulations to your winners, but a bigger congratulations to you for being a caring person!

Irene said...

Wow! What a colorful tag filled with extras. I love it.

donna said...

I am loving your tag. Wonderful choice of elements!

Melissa said...

Your tag is gorgeous! Congrats to the winners and thanks Rinda for reminding us all we can each do something to help with the relief effort.

nancy y said...

This tag is a wonder of grungy elements! Great use of those ghost elements! I never finished the CCC project, but I might work on the Grungy Monday!

Alison said...

Absolutely brilliant! Love it! x

Shelly Hickox said...

Beautiful! That background color is absolutely gorgeous!

Caroline Hallett said...

Loving the colours on your tag - really beautiful

Evelyn S. said...

These colors are so wonderful. Love your masking, too.

Julie Shoemaker said...

Wonderful color using color wash Rinda. Gorgeous.

Jenny Potter said...

Love the colours you used in your tag (I think Aged Mahogany is my favourite distress ink colour). Great embossing work on the grungepaper - I don't seem to have perfected that technique just yet :)
Smiles
Jen

Melody (lacyquilter) said...

Your tag is fabulous.

Lisa said...

Love your background color--really sets off a great tag

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Beautiful colors and elements.

Kirsty.A said...

Thank you so much for picking me - I've sent you an email with my address. Congratultions on raising £100 for such a good cause

humel said...

I love your tags! And your generosity :-) Congrats to all the winners! xx

CuddlyBunny said...

Beautiful tag! Love the colors and the layers!

And, your generosity is wonderful!

Linda Ledbetter said...

I'm so glad you joined in, Rinda! I always look forward to seeing your wonderful creations, and this one is exceptional! You did a great job incorporating the GM technique, and the vintage/bright color palette is gorgeous! Grungy fun, for sure!

What a generous person you are!

Gillian .... said...

Lovely design & colour choice.

furrypig said...

just wanted to say well done on your donation and congrats to all the other winners. I feel really lucky to have been picked so thank you Rinda xxx