Friday, April 29, 2011

2011 Intentions: April Edition

Welcome to the April check in for your 2011 Intentions, Resolutions and One Little Word Projects.  Once a month, I offer a gentle reminder to revisit the goals you set at the beginning of the year and post a project about them.  To learn more about the project, check out this post or click on the label "2011 intentions" below.  I have three art journals going:  my intentions journal (to be "50 and Fabulous"), my one little word journal (focusing on health), and my resolutions journal (focusing on 12 specific things I want to accomplish this year).  This month's page is in my intentions journal, and it was inspired by the fact that I got to meet one of my personal heroines at an amazing event we held at the law school where I teach.  
That's me on the far left, and in the middle stands Dolores Huerta, co-founder of the United Farm Workers.  My journaling reads "In April, I was fabulous because I met and shared the stage with Dolores Huerta."  She has been a huge inspiration to me because of the work she has done to help empower female farmworkers and to improve their lives, as well as the lives of their families.  Her presentation was fantastic - in turns, funny, inspiring and informative.  I can't  believe the amount of energy she still has, especially after the very hard life she has led. You can learn more about her by checking out her foundation's website here or the United Farm Workers site here. Meeting her made me realize that I am fabulous at fifty because I am passionate about seeking social justice and have been able to find a career which lets me work toward that goal.  I don't blog much about my work life, but I did write one post with a video link that you can find here.  One of the things I love about this picture is the way it captures three distinct generations of fabulous women -we're surrounded by some of my 20-something law students (aren't they all beautiful - you can see how star struck we all are, I think). There's me, and there's Dolores.  We're all together, all working to make the world a better place.  Dolores Huerta is "80 and Fabulous." Now that's definitely a goal to aspire to, don't you think!!!
*********************************************************************
How are you coming on your 2011 intentions, resolutions and one little word projects?

11 comments:

helena said...

Rinda what great energy in that photo - I think the one thing I miss from being an academic is being around enthusiastic young people.

I posted a digi layout on my OLW http://helenascreativemaven.blogspot.com/2011/04/one-little-word-check-in.html
Thanks for the reminders - it prompted me to do this layout

Amy said...

What a brilliant experience - Helena is right - there is a vibrancy to that shot that exudes positive energy!

beccaf1970 said...

I thought that was Dolores! She was supposed to speak at a conference I attended in March, but she had to cancel due to health reasons. Her daughter spoke in her place, and was equally inspirational! So glad you got to meet her and make a page about it!

scrappyjacky said...

How wonderful to have been able to meet someone who has inspired you so much.

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

Beautiful page! So energetic & alive!!

humel said...

Oh, good for you! Fabulous indeed :-)

My update is here: http://ispeakmelsh.blogspot.com/2011/04/details-of-march.html xx

Sian said...

It's a fabulous photo! Full of vitality and fighting spirit.

I loved that video you did - must have watched it 3 or 4 times!

Cheryl said...

What a fab photo so full of life love it x

Lizzie said...

Is that lady really 80? She looks about 50 herself and full of energy! How fab to meet such an important person in your life - it's wonderful to fond that sort of inspiration in other people - especially when a person we admire truly does help us towards being the person we wish to be. I wonder if your students find some of that inspiration in their Rinda Ontiveras? I did see your video - if I found what you said inspiring, from so far away, then I'm sure the students do! Dolores must be proud to know there are other women, such as her daughter and you, to help her and carry on her work, as she grows older. A photo for the office wall? Or even for a lecture room wall too?

Anonymous said...

Love it!

Jen said...

wonderful photo - so very full of life. How lovely to be with people who inspire you - I think of some of my teachers with the same affection I can tell you - so I am sure your students do the same. J x