Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Blogging with Culture and Weekend Events

I received this wonderful little necklace from Maria of the blog Bubblegum and Duct Tape.  It has a little book with Frida Kahlo on the cover.  Isn't it great? (ETA: it just so happens that she's running a tutorial today on these necklaces - how cool is that?)
One of the reasons I love her blog is because it has such a strong Latina feel to it.  A few other blogs with a similar vibe are "Mexico in My Kitchen" and Gloria's Blog Viva la Vida, as well as my cousin's blog, When the Sun Comes Out.  I find myself drawn to these blogs because they reconnect me with a part of my core identity, which you sometimes see come out in my art.
Two other blogs with strong cultural feelings are Athena's Creative Journey, an art journal blog from Italy, and Shutter Happy Moments, a photography blog from the Phillipines. Visiting these blogs feels like a mini-trip abroad.
So, I'm curious . . .  do you find yourself drawn to any blogs with a strong sense of culture? I'd love to know which ones they are, so I can check them out.  And, do you think my blog has a particular cultural flavor to it?
Do check back in this weekend.  Tomorrow will be a colorful link-up, which I previewed here.  Saturday will be the end-of-the-month check in on your 2011 resolutions, intentions and one little word projects. And on Sunday, I hope to participate in Sian's Storytelling Sunday.  See you then!

6 comments:

Amy said...

This post has made me smile and feel very pleased for a recent choice I have made ... you will find out soon!

I can't say that I view blogs of a particular cultural flavour, unless you count my friend who lives in outback Australia and really doesa live differently to us city slickers!

I have a story brewing for Sunday as well, would you believe it involves knitting? :-)

Sian said...

Although I do enjoy blogs which tell me more about the world and the bits I haven't seen, I hadn't really thought of searching out blogs with a distinctive cultural flavour. Cool thought! I might look for some Norwegian crafting blogs before our trip to Norway in the summer.

Maria@BubblegumandDuctTape said...

thanks for the mention, I always feel special when a fellow blogger mentions my blog.

I'm so happy that you liked the necklace I sent you. Your comment button is beautiful and it reminded me of Frida Kahlo so much. I just admire her work and her personal strength.

I guess our blogs represent who we are, not only does our personality come through in our writing but our tastes and preferences and culture too. I don't necessarily seek out certain blogs but I love blogs with personal content. I enjoy reading about people's lives, however, most of the blogs I follow are crafty/hobby blogs.
Now I'm gonna go check out the other blogs you mentioned.

Anonymous said...

Fantastico! That is one beautiful piece that I would proudly wear!
Frida, seems to make any piece of art appealing.

scrappyjacky said...

It's a wonderful little necklace,Rinda.

Carola Bartz said...

This is a really interesting question - because when I look at the blogs I regularly visit I can tell it's not the cultural flavor that draws me to them but some kind of mutual understanding, kindred spirits... However, I feel a certain attraction to blog by people who are not American but live in the US, like me. I can feel a common ground.
I visit your blog because I see a familiarity in your thinking, but also a lot of inspiration. Food for thought. That's what I like.