Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Grungy Monday 3: Adirondack Color Wash

This week's Grungy Monday Challenge at the Studio L3 blog features Tim Holtz's Adirondack Color Wash.  I love these sprays and use them often with stencils.  Since I needed to make some birthday cards, I pulled out a Club Scrap flower stencil an got started. For the card on the right, I used the stencil with butterscotch, cranberry and plum color wash.   For the card on the left, I took the ink-covered stencil and pressed it onto the paper to capture the "negative image."  For both cards, I then used a Dina Wakley technique, using a paint brush dipped in water to pull out the over-spray to create a subtle water colored background.
I love how these sprays can quickly create beautiful, unique images.  While I was at it, I made a simple, but (I think) striking friendship page.  The stencil is from Ed Roth.
 Thanks for stopping by!

17 comments:

Mary B said...

I love what you have done with the flower stencil/mask very clever

debs14 said...

Absolutely love those cards! I still remain a little scared of painting but this sounds like something I could try.

Julie Shoemaker said...

oooh gorgeous color Rinda.

Cheri said...

love the colors and subtle wash effect on the cards - gorgeous!

Sian said...

A striking card indeed. I like that very much.

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Three fantastic pieces. Great colors.

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Oh SO pretty, Rinda!!! I love that color wash look. xo

Beverly said...

Prety birthday cards and I REALLY love th friendship page, gorgeous!

laurie said...

the colors wash together so beautifully. i never seem to be able to do that!

Anonymous said...

I haven't played with stencils in ages. I love all three pieces, but my favorite is the card on the left where you used the negative image. The colors are just beautiful. (I like the sentiment as well.)

Suzanne Bouchard said...

WOW! I love the the reverse stencil card ans I like your choice of colors. Beautiful cards!

fairy thoughts said...

great use of the product, making the negative images,they look so different to each other too. love the colours
janet

Jennie Atkinson said...

I love your colours and the way you have used the stencils. Stunning!

Lizzie said...

Weeeeellll... I would never have thought of pressing an inky/painty stencil onto paper, to make a reversed image (why not, I wonder? Am I so unimaginative? Hummmm). I love the two cards, especially shown together. It's a really interesting technique, which I may try very soon! Thank you for sharing your clever idea.

And I do love the bird/ friendship page. It is really rather beautiful.

donna said...

Your cards are lovely and your friendship bird is so cool. Wonderful quote...Donna

minnie_mac said...

Brilliant cards. Love how you have used the colours and the stencils.

Marilyn

Linda Ledbetter said...

Oh, wow, Rinda, these are STUNNING cards! I love the technique you used to create this lovely watercolor look, and the little hummingbird card is the icing on the cake! As always, you did a wonderful job on the challenge!