Sunday, April 3, 2011

Scavenger Hunt Sunday (on Monday)

There's so many wonderful photography challenges out there that I want to try, but one in particular that caught my eye recently is the Sunday Scavenger Hunt . . . each week Ashley Sisk posts five items to photograph during the week and then you post and link them up on Sunday.  Since I was busy with Story telling Sunday yesterday, I'm running my scavenger hunt photos today instead.  Ashley kindly gives participants until Tuesday to post.  This week's items were:  High Key, Bedroom, Something Tiny, Off in the Distance and Stripes.
Here are my interpretations:
Let's start with a confession - I didn't know what "high key" meant.  After seeing others post, I now realize it's a photography technique. Duh.  Oh well, I took the prompt literally and took this picture of one of the hawks which is nesting nearby.  When they fly, they call to each other in a very high key. It sounds like "skreee".  I love watching them soar; they're so majestic. And here's the picture I took for bedroom:
They're the raised garden beds used by one of my neighbors. 
Something Tiny:
It's got to be Gypsy.  Paul calls her a "doggette" because she's so tiny.
Next up - Off in the Distance:
Lately, when I drive to my studio, I have noticed this Rooster off in the distance.  Today I took a picture and went to go check out the building on which it lives.  It's the recently relocated antique shop called "Half to Have It." Here's what the building looks like up close (By the way, if you click on these photos to see close-ups, you will get a much better view of this cool building and its decorations):
There's also goats on the roof and an iron sun on the front of the building.  I love the industrial harbor neighborhood where my studio is located!
Finally, for stripes:
It's Henry with a fresh haircut.  His "barber" is a 16 year old teammate, and he really likes sporting these stripes.
So, there are my photographs.  I don't think they're going to look like anyone else's in the gallery, but they are very "me." A fun little slice of my life - where I live and those I share it with.  Right now. Thanks for stopping by and taking a look.
Next weeks clues are: Motion, Waiting to Click, In Fashion, Animal's Perspective, and Many.  

19 comments:

Amy said...

I also have no clue about what 'high key' means, I probably would have photographed TFYO mid screech! ;-)

TFYO has become really inquisitive lately when I check blogs, she is very interested in the second last shot today, particularly the sun and what look like goats on the roof!

I like the painted fence near the vegie garden :-)

Amy said...

Hi, me again :-)

I am sure you have seen something like this, but I was interested in the high key aspect today ...

http://photo.tutsplus.com/tutorials/lighting/beginners-guide-to-shooting-high-key/

Now I know the name for this technique - great to learn something new each day!

Bye now :-)

Mary B said...

I love your choice of photos they do indeed give us an insight to your world. I'm going to investigate High Key now

scrappyjacky said...

Great photos,Rinda....love Henry's new cut.
I'd have no idea about 'high key' either....would probably have snapped a musical instrument!!!
Will have my 'art journal' page up by tomorrow.

Denise said...

Lovely photos Rinda, I am in love with Gypsy!

Sian said...

I'm another one who has no idea what High Key is; but I'm always happy to learn, so I'll be investigating it too!

This sounds like a very clever photo challenge and I'm definitely going to be keeping my eye on it from now on. And looking out for your shots too - it's always a pleaure to see a glimpse of your life and a snatch of your sunshine!

Ashley Sisk said...

Great job with your hunt items this week - love your something tiny.

Suzanne McClendon said...

Great subjects. I think you responded very creatively to all of them.

High key confuses me, too, because I know if I were to do what I thought was high key, the responses I would get would be "that's overexposed!". I know there is a trick to it, a fine balance, but I have no clue how to achieve it.

My thought was to somehow have an actual key dangling from something way up high, or find a locksmith shop with a huge key on the roof, cut it didn't work out. Oh well. :)

Gypsy is adorable!

Ginger said...

Oh wonderful shots Rinda! I love the first one of the hawk, every now and then we see them here, but out in the country. High key - never heard of it, but like your interpretation nonetheless :)

Scrappy Grams said...

I wrote the site address about high key, I'm really having fun learning from all the photo bloggers. I like your choices for the Scavenger Hunt!

Anonymous said...

I would have had to look up "high key" myself (and shall). I loved that Gypsy is the "dogette," and I thoroughly enjoyed your photos. I'm also glad to know the Have to Have It has moved, since I'd be looking for it next time I'm in Half Moon Bay.

nancy y said...

love the stripes! My son used to get similar type things when he'd get his haircut! One time he got z/28 on the back to sport at our car club picnic - Ihtink the barber had more fun doing it! (BTW, z/28 is a model of Camaro!)

furrypig said...

scavenger hunt osounds like great fun, loving all your photos to no idea about high key either!

Anonymous said...

:) I had to look "high key" up before doing mine. I thought of taking pics of my piano, but knowing some of Ashley's items, I thought it might be some sort of technique! Your eagle shot is pretty good, though!

rapunzel said...

Great shots. Such a cute 'tiny' shot! Thanks for stopping by.

Christina said...

LOVE your interpretations, especially the bedroom and something tiny! Adorable pup!

Cate Brickell said...

this sounds like a fun challenge! I especially love your bedroom photo, those vegie beds look amazing!

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

What a fun collection of photos and so cool to see what you are surrounded by as well. I'm loving those raised garden beds, and I WANT that rooster!!! :o)

Unknown said...

Also had no idea about 'high key'. Your photos are great and some super interpretations.