Sunday, November 20, 2011

Alice in Wonderland Cards

Quite a while ago, a friend of mine gave me an Alice in Wonderland card kit.  It had 8 card blanks and focal images, a good assortment of printed paper, lots of Wonderland charms, some ribbon and a whole bunch of tags. I kept the kit in my scrapbook bag and would work on them now and again at a crop or when I had a bit of time.
But today I decided that I wanted to finish them up and get them out of my project bag.  I had three left to assemble and then (to really complete the project), I added sentiments to the ones that needed them and put away all the left-over bits!
Very happy to have them complete - another project done and out of my bag. Yea me! 
I'd wanted to make them mostly birthday cards, but sometimes I couldn't find a birthday sentiment that would fit. 
I have two bins with about 100 completed hand made cards in them, with all varieties of sentiments - birthdays, new babies, graduation, get well, sympathy, thank you, father's day, mother's day, st. patrick's day, etc. - plus plenty of blank ones.  This is pared down from the four bins I had last year at this time! At Christmas time, I will bundle up packets to give to relatives as presents - mostly to my female relatives (because they appreciate them) to go along with gift cards (because I hate giving just a gift card without anything tangible). They seem to appreciate it! Would you appreciate a gift of handmade cards to send out? Have you ever given such a gift?
****************************************************************************
Today I am grateful for: a son who can drive himself places and all those adults who volunteer to coach (and drive) my children.

10 comments:

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Ooooh...I just LOVE these Alice in Wonderland cards, Rinda.

Hm...in answer to your question: because I'm a crafter myself, I've never been keen on sending handmade cards to friends and family that weren't made by my own hand. I hope that doesn't make me sound snobby. Am I the only one who feels that way?

Amy said...

I think handmade cards are a great idea as a gift, and, infact, I am considering making some as gifts for this Christmas myself ... though, only to non-crafters as I wouldn't want to step on any toes .. Deb! ;-) :-)

Anonymous said...

I frequently give sets of handcrafted cards, but only to folks who don't make their own (which is most of my local friends and family.) They always seem appreciative, and I hope they use them. They don't, of course, send them back to me!

Irene said...

Oh how lovely. Remember I'm part of your family :)

Alison said...

That's a lovely idea Rinda...not one I've ever thought about(till now!)
Alison xx

scrappyjacky said...

I love these,Rinda....especially as I'm a real Alice fan.
I do give gifts of a set of handmade cards....usually in a decorated box...to women....and they always seem to appreciate them....I think they make great gifts for non-cardmakers.

Sian said...

I love your Alice cards. Alice never goes out of date.

I'm not sure is my honest answer. Like Deb, as a crafter I would prefer to give a card I had made myself; but I can definitely see how valuable a gift like this would be to a non-crafter

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

I think that is an awesome gift!

Becky said...

I think that it is a great idea to give some handmade cards with a gift card - I would be more than happy to receive a gift like that!

Ginger said...

Your cards are pretty:) I do make cards but have never given them in that way! A lovely idea.