Monday, March 5, 2012

Mosaic Butterfly Mini Album (March Monthly Make)

I'm trying to work my way through a variety of project kits I have purchased over the years, so I joined the Felt Fairy's Monthly Make Project.  For March, I decided to make a cute little mini-album from Club Scrap.
You start with one piece of 12x12 printed paper, which you fold, cut, and fold again until it turns into an accordion album.  The paper had a garden theme, in purple and greens.
The project kit left the cover design up to the artist, so I decided to make some mosaic butterflies using this fabulous technique featured on Tim Holtz's blog.
While I was playing, I made two extras.  I'm keeping this red one:
But I'm sending this purple one to Deb for her Butterfly Project (read more here). While you're at it, you might want to check out my cousin Irene's wonderful post about the Project, her visit to the Houston Museum and her fabulous stained glass butterflies (click here to read it).
In making the butterflies, I followed Tim's instructions pretty closely, although I just traced the butterflies onto grungeboard because I don't have any of the dies.  I then cut a piece of wonder tape around the right size, attached it to the grungeboard and trimmed. I used liquid platinum embossing powder instead of cement. I also used highly textured pieces of paper for my mosaic (most of them were extra backgrounds made in technique classes).  I love how they turned out.
Have you tried Tim's technique yet? Made any butterflies? Doing the Monthly Make? If so, feel free to add a link, and I'll be sure and stop by.

18 comments:

Amy said...

Now, these are really lovely Rinda, actually, they are one of my favourites of yours I think - the colours are beautiful!

Nordljus said...

These butterflies are gorgeous! I especially love the purple one, and I also love your mini album (purple and green are my favourite colours :) ). Thanks for sharing your step-by-step process and links, I'm very intrigued to try it out. I like to use embellishments in my art journal, and it's so much nicer to do them yourself.

helena said...

they are stunning Rinda - love the colours and textures - not suprised you are keeping the red one - gorgeous

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Eeeeep! I love everything about this post, Rinda. You KNOW I'm a huge fan of mini's so that is just adorable, and these butterflies? Over the top! LOVE them!!! You are putting me to shame with the butterflies, my friend. I need to get busy and make a few more myself!!!

Sian said...

Wow, I love how you are right on top of March's Make already! You have taken the idea of butterflies and really made them your own here

Alison said...

Love the mini itself, Rinda but the butterflies are fabulous..and your cousin's account left me really moved- my first butterfly is in the pipeline!
Alison xx

Capescrapper said...

WOW, Rinda, your butterflies came out great!
I saw this the other day and really need to try it.

Great work as always and love your blog!

scrappyjacky said...

Love the mini...and it's such gorgeous colours. The butterflies look superb....I must go and take a look at that technique.

Winnie said...

Awesome use of your mosaic butterflies. They are great. Love the colors you used. Great albulm! I am having a blast making these tags.

Irene said...

Love the Color, Love the Butterflies, Love the Mini Album. I just LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it all. Will have to try Tim's technique. Thanks for linking me.

Terry said...

Stunning collection of mosaic butterflies! The mini album is a great idea. I just had so much fun with this challenge and by the looks of it, so did you1 Have a great day!

Karen said...

This is so beautiful. I love everything about it.

laurie said...

your butterflies look like they have ceramic pieces embedded into them - beautiful!

Candy C said...

Neat little mini album and I like your mosaic butterfly on the cover! <3 Candy

*jean* said...

ooo those are beautiful! must go check this out!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow what a wonderful and inspired Idea that you executed beautifully

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

What a pretty book! I love the colors!

Unknown said...

Love the butterflies, I thought this was a great technique when I saw it on Tim's blog!