Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Attitude of Gratitude {2}

This month, I'm working on a Gratitude Journal, in conjunction with Bernice's Attitude of Gratitude challenge blog. To read about how I set up my journal and to see previous pages, click on the "gratitude" link at the bottom of this post.  This page was inspired by Bernice's Day 3 prompt and quote on creativity. I really love the scripture: "He has filled them with skill to do all kinds of work as engravers, designers, embroiderers in blue, purple and scarlet yarn and fine linen, and weavers - all of them skilled workers and designers." I journaled around the angel with my thoughts on how art and creativity are gifts from a higher power that tend to be unleashed when I open my heart. For the embellishment, I drew on her idea from Day 9 to use fabric on a page.  Instead of fabric, I layered lace on top of ribbon to create a brocade effect and stay within my color palette.
The page on the left draws from several different posts.  The quote "I applied my heart to what I observed and learned a lesson from what I saw." goes with the Day 11 prompt about learning. But, to me, it resonated with the work that I do as a teacher and an activist. This page was also influenced by the Day 6 prompt on technology, which included a scripture about work/labor, and the Day 7 prompt which suggested using a stencil. My journaling along the branches reads "I am grateful to have a job in which I can pursue justice, for I have seen injustice and it has touched my heart." I used the Byzantine green metallic paint again.
The page on the right draws mainly from the Day 10 prompt on emotions, although for me, the page is really about trust. I used the creative prompt (use stars or hearts) and the scripture "Bring joy to your servants, Lord, for I put my trust in you." My journaling reads "I am grateful for the moments of peace that come from trusting in God's plan." I stamped the starts in antique white acrylic paint.
Hope you found some inspiration today, and a huge thanks to Bernice for providing such a wonderful challenge for November.

18 comments:

The Mann Fam said...

I enjoy seeing your use of the thoughts and scripture to build your attitude journal. Beautiful page with the journaling around the angel. Beautiful!

BJ said...

Super album, love how you are combining the scriptures and techniques to make your own very special journal.

Amy said...

I'm really enjoying seeing your album unfold, it is beautiful and I am loving how you are combining your creativity and spirituality.

scrappyjacky said...

I think I'd echo Amy's comment....and I love these 'old style' religious pictures....they remind me of the prayer cards I had as a child.

Sian said...

Yes! I'm very inspired by that top page and the journaling round the image and the wonderful poetry of the scripture. It's beautiful - I'll be rolling round in my head for the rest of the afternoon.

Missus Wookie said...

I love that first scripture quote - creativity is something I cherish and definitely feel connected to the divine when it is at its best.

Really like the journaling around the image too - such a great way to integrate it.

Karen said...

I always admire your art journaling projects, and this is no exception. Congrats to both Clara and Henry, and good wishes to Paul! I'm catching up on my blog reading. Sarah and Caleb flew home yesterday; very quiet here!

humel said...

Wonderful and inspiring entries, Rinda. I love that journaling around the edge of the angel!

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

These are great pages, Rinda, and I absolutely LOVE that your journaling wraps around the angel. Lovely! xo

Miriam said...

Your journal is beautiful Rinda. I have that prayer card of the children & Mary in my prayerbook on my nightstand. x

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

Wonderful looking pages! I love the top one and it's scripture!

Andy said...

Hi Rinda, I really like your combination of religious iconography and inspiring scripture. It is very thought provoking. I am sending big wishes to Paul hope he gets through the next round. Andy

Alison said...

This journal is indeed a work of art Rinda!
Alison xx

alexa said...

I am really enjoying, and being touched by, the mix of artwork and paint, images, thoughts and design ... It will be a lovely thing to have and look back on.

Bernice Hopper said...

Glad you're joining in

Melissa said...

Your pages are so lovely Rinda - I really like how the color scheme is working with all the quotes & thoughts.

Carolyn Dube said...

The softness and gentleness of your pages really calls to me! I love how you used your journaling on the outline of the angel!

Elizabeth said...

I like how your Gratitude Journal is so very personal to you. That is also one of my favorite of the scriptures.