Friday, February 1, 2013

Photo-Heart Connection: Country Road

Once a month, Kat Sloma asks photographers to share the one recent photo which most strongly made a photo-heart connection for them.  This month, for me, it was pretty easy.  I adore this photograph which speaks to me of peace and light and the infinite possibility of the open road. I had been wanting to capture this place, this space, for a very long time and am so happy that I took myself on an artists' date to do just that.  Kat recently wrote (here) about being a "photographer of place." Her words spoke to me because I feel so  fulfilled by my photography when I am capturing a sense of place like this. 
To see other participants making a photo-heart connection, go to this link.
There were two other photographs which also touched my heart this month and almost made the cut (all three photos are much better if you click on them and view them in a larger size).
I was strangely drawn to this lichen photo I took. To me, it resembles a map and reminds me of the art work of Mary Nasser. It draws me in, as I think of all the pieces of lichen as islands and I wonder what their inhabitants would be like. 
And then there's this photo:
I haven't blogged about it yet, but I will.  This soccer player is not my son but the photo still touches my heart for reasons I will share at a later date. Sports photography, especially sports portraiture,  is another area where I feel fulfilled as a photographer.
Thanks Kat for encouraging me to review my photos from January and to think about the various aspects of my photography which truly touch my heart.  If you're a photographer and haven't yet joined in the PHC, I urge you to do so. It's a wonderful and revealing experience.

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have such a wonderful eye for photo composition. I love the lichen one too it is such an amazing colour.

Lou said...

these are all such super photos. I'm off to check out your link i need some photographic direction!

helena said...

yes the first one draws me in and makes me want to visit it.

Sarah Huizenga said...

Love the country road, I can see why you wanted to capture it. There is such a connection with some places it is amazing the feelings that stir within you.

Lizzie said...

Hi, haven't been around for a while, but I'm trying to visit my blog friends for a catch-up! Hope you are well. X

I do like these photos. The lichen makes me want to find my sketchbook. The road picture is very atmospheric - you want to go and walk that road, to see where it is that the sun is shining so brightly.
The boy looks tired, but satisfied (did his team do well?). I do like to see your sports portraits - you do them so well.

Viv@Thoughts from the Desktop said...

Wonderful photos I love the silvery colour of the lichen it's so pretty Visiting from PhotoHeart Connection...

Michele at Sweet Leaf said...

A country road and lichens on wood. How inviting! You have an eye for texture! I look forward to seeing more of your portraits, too!

Unknown said...

Beautiful pictures and that one really does look like a map! Love it.

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

I love the first photo! It's the sort of place that makes me want to take a long walk there.

Sian said...

I love that country road and I'd love to see what is over the crest of the hill

Jo Murray said...

Your chosen photo really draws me in, Rinda. It has such a feeling of 'promise'. The lichen abounda on our palmtrees and I have often thought of painting it.

humel said...

It's so interesting to read your comments about your photos, as well as enjoying them visually :) I love how your eye is drawn in by the light in the first shot, it's lovely x

Alison said...

Lovely pics Rinda......I agree that the lichen looks like little islands!
Alison xx

leanne can blog said...

I like the light & composition in the first shot- lovely.

Elizabeth said...

The country road photo really caught my eye. I find myself thinking up stories of where the road will lead to. Love your photographs because you put so much thought into shooting them.

sky-blu-pink said...

I love the lichen pic too. When we were in Wales, there was so much lichen-covered stone, all colours, so beautiful. I would love to walk down the avenue-tunnel too!

Deborah Tisch said...

I love that country road image! Those trees lining the road create such a lovely, inviting place. What a perfect artist date!

Karen said...

That first photo is just wonderful; it evokes such a sense of peace and contentment.

Unknown said...

the lichen against the wood gran is awesome..love the different textures.

Beverly said...

Great photos and you are right they are much more powerful when seen larger...the light at the end of the road is more powerful, the texture and pattern of the lichen and the expression on the player's face and the strong orange of his uniform. I look forward to reading his story.

Kathryn Dyche said...

The composition is great and I can feel the love you have of this place shine through.

Paula said...

Wonderful photo, love them all, but I really want to go explore that road!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. I'd like to be there. We have a road nearby that looks very similar except it's mostly pine trees across from the fence. I'll have to go shoot tomorrow - we are blanketed with snow, it should be beautiful!

Kat Sloma said...

"A wonderful and revealing experience." Yay! I'm glad you are finding good things in the Photo-Heart Connection. Your image speaks of possibility to me too. Good possibility, the kind that welcomes you and encourages you to continue. Thank you for sharing this in the Photo-Heart Connection this month!

Unknown said...

Your country road photo is beautiful! The light off in the distance draws me in and makes me want to walk that road.

Anonymous said...

That first one is so peaceful looking. I love tree covered country roads.