Friday, August 23, 2013

Scavenger Hunt Musings

Scavenger Hunt Item #18 : My Local
It's been a while since I posted anything about the 2013 Summertime Photography Scavenger Hunt, but with just about a month left, I thought it was a good opportunity to post a few finds and assess my progress.  The photograph up top is of my new "local" pub.  Hop Dogma is so small that it's considered a nanobrewery (smaller than a microbrewery) and is right next to the post office in my little town. They have a nice selection of beers brewed on site and a few guest brews. Sometimes there's a food truck called "Shark Bite" which comes by to provide something to much on. All-in-all, it's a pretty nice little place and great addition to our neighborhood. In the photo above, you can see the sign with limited hours (closed Monday and Tuesday because they're brewing) and the reflection of the tree-lined streets.
Item #2: A Theatre for the Performing Arts
This is the little theatre in our town.  It's called the Coastal Repertory Theatre, and it seats about 150 people. It used to be called "This Side of the Hill Players" and has been providing community theatre for over 25 years. Recently, Clara and I went to see their production of Hair, and I snapped this photograph. We both thought the musical was, uh, interesting . . .
With these two posts, here's where I am on the list:
1.   Open air market
2.   Theater for performing arts (not a movie theater)
3.   City Hall, Capitol or other similar civic building
4.   Airplane
5.   A sunset
6.   Someone or something taking a nap
7.   A sign that is intentionally or unintentionally funny
8.   A tower
9.   A photo with someone or something that is clearly out of place or doesn't belong
10.  A bench that is outside

11.  An animal in a zoo, aquarium, nature preserve, etc.
12.  A cloud in the shape of something (please specify what you see)
13.  A fence
14.  A stained glass object or a mosaic
15.  A fire truck or police car
16.  A windmill 
17.  Candle(s)
18.  Your local pub/bar, coffee house or tea shop
19.  A fisherman
20. A dinosaur
21.  A photograph of you with an artistic tool or craft supply (you cannot substitute for this item)
Bonus/substitute items:
A person wearing an outfit (or item of clothing) that symbolizes your country
A sundial
I only have four left!  Three of them require a bit of a special trip, though. And I'm looking forward to getting them done.
I'll be hosting another link up at the end of the month and a final link up on September 21 (the end of summer and the end of the hunt). I know that many of you are done with the hunt so won't have anything new to link up and that's okay, but I do hope you'll be back to link up at the end.  In the meantime, here's a few thoughts on the Hunt:
Marsha of Cool Quilting created these really cool, on-line flip books with her photos. Looking through them makes me realize how this may be one of those projects where the whole is more than the sum of the parts. If you have completed the hunt, do you have some way that you're compiling the photos? Maybe you want to share it on the end of the month linky.
Windmills are just so awesome. I have really enjoyed seeing the variety out there.  Check out Julia's Greek windmills, Bernice's futuristic German wind turbine, and Starnitesky's beautifully photographed English windmill.
Towers are cool, too.  I might do a post on this later, but here's one extremely unusual take from Kerry.
I love the stories generated by the Hunt. Ladykis shared this wonderful tale (and very nice photograph) of her old local.
Finally, check out this awesome post from Sandie. It's got a terrific windmill, a fun story and, to my amazement, the same, really unusual something that doesn't belong as I had! I can't believe we both found a piano on a beach! Gotta love the scavenger hunt!
What's been your favorite part so far?

22 comments:

Amy said...

Thanks for the links - I still haven't decided what to do with all my shots.

Jane said...

great photos, hope you are feeling better now x

helena said...

I think that the constant gazing skyward trying to discern a shape in the clouds has been my favourite item on the list.

I love the whole process and having a flexible project for summer and yes I like all the photos together as a combined story

Julia said...

Oh Gosh, I'm not done, I still have loads to find lol! Best get snapping :) Hop Dogma is such a cool name for your local!

Missus Wookie said...

Wookie would love to visit your new local - he likes micro and nano breweries! Hair is interesting isn't it - was my first ever musical as I was tiny (a few weeks old) when I went.

I'm thinking I'll do a layout or similar and include all the London photos into the London album. Must get around to printing out the digi version and adding in the hybrid things. Hmm, maybe I'll use your end of month link up as a good deadline for that?

Oh - but my favourite things about the hunt is the camaraderie, both here at home and across blog land finding and enjoying seeing other people's finds too.

Anonymous said...

so far i'm only missing a candle and/or sundial and i'm done!!! might make LOs with all the pix at Scramp Camp!

Mariana

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the links. I love checking out all the cool photographs that people take, and love reading the stories from behind the scenes.

Susanne said...

It's always good to get links in case we've missed something - thanks for that. I'm seeing that everyone is nearly done - I must kick it in gear.

Ruth said...

What fun to have a nano brewery in town!

Mrsjobee said...

Blogged a couple more photos today. We have a couple of micro breweries locally - which I have sampled - and an Octoberfest coming up which we are looking forward to.

BJ said...

Thanks for the reminder. I still need to do my piccy of me and a craft tool (or get someone else to take it!) Maybe I'll get someone to take some photos of me at the Tim Holtz workshop next week! LOL. I suppose I could do with re-doing a couple of the entries so will keep an eye out, been busy geocaching this months and I have a small operation a week Monday so I am glad the end date isn't until 21st September. Thanks BJ

Sian said...

I'm so pushed for time at the minute, and I really want to sit down and pull together the rest of the photos I have. I think my favourite picture I've taken is the little wooden carving of the man asleep on the bench. If that shop had been open I think I might have bought him.

Lesley G said...

Such a cute little theatre :)

Fiona@Staring at the Sea said...

I had come to a bit of a stand still, with all the obvious ones already snapped. Have got my second wind this week and found lots. A few more to go.

Karen said...

I have a couple more to share at the end of the month, and two left to find. I'm not sure where I'll come up with either of them. I think I'll do a two-page layout for my scrapbook like I did last year. I also have a few more benches to share for my bench project---inspired, of course, by the scavenger hunt.

Lou said...

great finds. I have more finds to post and hope to get around to it this week x

Melissa said...

So far my favorite part has been the hunt itself & the trip we took just to get started earlier this summer! I have four items left (plus one bonus) & put a note on my calendar to find them this week! I'm having trouble deciding what I want to do for #18 since we never go to pubs, bars, or coffee houses and we don't really have a tea room around here! Hmmm....maybe another weekend trip to a small town to try out a tea room! :>)

alexa said...

It has been such fun to do and I have much enjoyed the variety of dinosaurs!

Unknown said...

I've blogged a few of mine and have been putting photos into a huge draft blog post for when I have them all!

I think what I've enjoyed most was showing the list to my family when we were on holiday and letting them all help me find items - and their eagerness to do so, including my son pretending to nap (I've not included that one yet, will wait and see if I am desperate!)

Andy said...

I really like the name of the brewery and what a sweet theatre. Thank you for sharing the links I have enjoyed reading them. I cant wait to share on the hosting link at the end of the month. I too have a few more to capture myself. I am thoroughly enjoying the hunt. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

I've got a few more to share this week but I sure with Mother Nature would co-operate and let me get a nice sunset picture. I don't think I'll be getting anyone napping (John says no picture of him sleeping please and we no longer have any pets so...) or an animal in a zoo etc so I guess I'll be looking for a sundial now. :)

~*~Patty S said...

ooo lots of links to visit
I finally posted Part 1 of my scavenger hunt photos...what a fun time we've had with just a few more to fill in

Thank you Rinda!
oxo