Monday, July 28, 2014

Scavenger Hunt Finds; Not Quite as Expected.

As I drove in to work the other day, I spied this bus in a parking lot. And I decided to make a u-turn, stop and take a photograph for the 2014 Summertime Photography Scavenger Hunt Item #20. It's not exactly what I had in mind when I placed this item on the list. I was thinking more of a hand-painted bus carrying a mariachi band around the country! But I did like this, and I thought it was a step up from a regular city bus with a picture on the side. Here's another one which was not quite as expected:
It's a nice enough photograph for #8 a tatoo on a person. I spied this young woman while waiting outside the baseball stadium recently and decided to snap the photo. When I put this item on the list, I had great plans for doing a whole study of people's tattoos. I wanted to set up portrait sessions for people I knew who had tattoos, and I wanted to walk up to strangers and ask "Can I take a photograph of you and your tattoo?" But somewhere in the hustle and bustle of the summer, I never talked to my friends. And I somehow became too shy to ask when I saw people with great tatoos. So, I will settle for this one. And ponder the possibility of doing a tattoo study some other time.
So, what about you? Are there photos that you have taken for the Hunt this summer which weren't quite what you had expected?



11 comments:

Beverly said...

I haven't gotten my bus one yet because none of them are what I want, I may be settling by September. I am planning on a tattoo photo collage. Like you, I seem to be shy about asking strangers :/

Sian said...

I've been too shy to ask for a tattoo photo too. Saw a great example at the airport last week, but my dear daughter said I'd look like a creepy old woman if I went and asked him, and she wouldn't do it for me!

Karen said...

The tattoo was easy, thanks to my daughter, but I'm still searching for a bus with a painted picture. All we have here are buses with quite boring signs.

Lesley G said...

Great photos!
My Barcelona Hunt I did just that, sat in the square and took unexpected photos of tattoos

Jo.C said...

Just posted my picture of a tattoo and it was done stealthily as I too was too shy to ask.
great shots x

Jimjams said...

WOW what a bus. I'm still looking for my stranger's tattoo ... they are everywhere in the hot summer weather, but I can't seem to find the right person to ask ...

Rhodesia said...

I will be starting my list tomorrow now the holiday photos are out of the way :-) All the buses in France have writing on them! Going to Paris on 22 Sept so hoping to get one on the last day if I find nothing before! A Welcome sign, they do not seem to know what welcome is here in any language - still looking! Diane

Carola Bartz said...

That's a great bus, I think! And I love the tattoo - that was actually quite difficult and I got my shot just by chance.
I hadn't expected to find a horn - and it was one of the first items I found! Go figure.

Julia said...

I'm having the same problem with the tattoo. There's a lovely girl I work with who has one all down her arm but haven't the courage to ask her as she'll probably think I'm a bit weird! Great finds though Rinda :)

Melissa said...

I really didn't have any expectations for this year's hunt, but I'm thrilled that many of my finds are better than I would have guessed (like the ones from Robbie's hometown and all the finds on our Canadian vacation).

Anonymous said...

Thankfully I discovered I knew someone with a tattoo. As for the bus I'm still looking. I know there are some around because I saw them before the hunt started. I'm thinking of going and parking down by the bus yards in town and seeing what I can see from the street.