Sunday, January 4, 2015

Rose Bowl, 2015: A Day I Will Always Remember

Item #5 for Winter Photograph Scavenger Hunt: Something that is over 100 years old
The 101st Rose Bowl Football Game
My son, Henry, attends the University of Oregon, and he is a huge fan of their football team, the Ducks. This year, college football started a four team playoff system, and the Ducks were selected as one of the four teams to compete in a semifinal game. It was set for the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California, not far from where I grew up.
As soon as I heard the news, I arranged to get tickets for us to go. I put them under the tree, and he was over-the-moon excited! 
Before the game, we tailgated with some of Henry's fraternity brothers, their families and friends. And then entered the stadium (where we found we had excellent, field level seats).
The Ducks played great!
And ended up winning the game!
At the end of the night, I had one happy Duck
It was truly a magical day spent with my son. One which we will both always remember. A priceless memory and a fantastic way to start 2015.

17 comments:

helena said...

a great gift and shared memory - I do love being at sports events and find them a great outing to share with my nephew

Ladkyis said...

How wonderful! such a priceless memory

Eileen T said...

Ha ha - I love it. Such a great take on the scavenger hunt prompt!

What a fantastic gift and, as you say, a priceless memory.

scrappyjacky said...

Sounds like a great start to the year for you both....a great memory to keep.

alexa said...

Your excitement and pleasure just spills over! Wonderful memory to have made possible ...

Becky said...

What a wonderful event for you both to attend. Lovely photo of Henry at the end.

The Mann Fam said...

I couldn't agree more with Alexa. You can just feel your excitement and joy while reading your post.

humel said...

Lovely to read about such a special time together :) Go Ducks!!

Melissa said...

That is a lovely way to start the year and time with you son! And such a great bonus that they won!!

Maggie said...

Sounds like a great day out. What a wonderful gift!

Karen said...

What fun! I grew up at Ohio State where my dad was a professor for 10 years. We had two tickets on the 50 yard line for all the home games. I've always loved watching the Rose Bowl--and the parade. I will, however, be rooting against you on Monday! :-)

Alison said...

Sounds like the perfect gift...and you've reminded me about theWinter Scavenger Hunt! Xx

Sian said...

Looking at it from this distance, it looks like something we only see in the movies! An occasion to remember, that's for sure

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful Christmas present. Your blog always glows with pride when you talk about the time you spend with your children.

Beverly said...

I have been so excited for Henry. Absolutely a lifetime memory for the two of you and something to tell his grandchildren that will be so cool. Loved seeing the pics that day. I have several friends with Ohio State connections so I will have to be quiet about pulling for the Ducks lol For the Rose Bowl everyone thought it was logical that I was pulling for Oregon because a friend's son attends ... that and not many people here care for FSU. Congrats again on the win!

Julia said...

What a great way to start the year. Looks like a fab time was had by all x

Anonymous said...

What a great shared memory to have. When we were watching it I was thinking of you.