Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Blog Dialog with Sian: Your Old but Useful Creations

Sian, from over at From High in the Sky, recently asked "What's the oldest thing you made that has been in continuous use?" I thought about this and came up with two possible answers. The first is this trivet that I made in middle school when I was about 10 or 11 years old. I was one of the few girls in wood shop back in the early 1970's, and I was quite proud of this creation. My mom gave it to me sometime after I got married (30 years ago), and it's been in my cupboard and in my kitchen used off and on). The other option is a Christmas ornament that I made when I was five years old - it's the red construction paper Santa star in the upper right quadrant of this layout:
It has either been on my parents' tree or my tree since 1966. 
What about you? What's the oldest thing you made that has been in continuous use?

6 comments:

alexa said...

I don't have anything from my childhood, alas ... but it must be lovely to hold and look at things made by your own younger self. Your Santa star looks very festive!

Sandie said...

Like you Rinda I have a Christmas tree decoration, a Father Christmas made out of paper and card that sits on top of my Mum's tree every year!

Karen said...

I don't have much from my childhood, and nothing I can think of that's been in continuous use. The trivet is lovely.

Sian said...

Oh, lovely! It sounds like you were a bit of a trail blazer..we wouldn't have been allowed to do woodwork back then, so I'm not surprised you are proud of your handiwork. And a Christmas decoration? Has to be the most perfect example of something made a long time ago and still used. I love that.

Becky said...

How lovely that you still have the trivet! My Mum still has a necklace I made her in metalwork back when I was 14, but I don't have anything that I made from my childhood!

Anonymous said...

You know when Sian first asked this question I couldn't think of anything but you're mentioning a Christmas decoration reminded of the Santa my Dad & I made when I was around 12. I must write about it if I haven't already. I love that your Mum kept both of these things for you.